Software Development Services
Expert business analysts, cutting edge software developers,
There's plenty of software out there. Many packages are good, and most are centered around the common needs of large markets. We'll build custom software, though, to address specific needs that go unmet by one-size-fits-all software. This may be the case when users need web or mobile access to data contained in different commercial systems, or a firm seeks to build a competitive niche through a new online service.
Building custom software doesn't mean starting from scratch though. Most information management solutions use a combination of databases, web forms, work flows, business rules and aggregate reporting to acomplish specific goals. We have a toolbox of pre-built components for different needs, which we use to assemble and configure to create an exact solution.
The clear advantage here is that we use solid, scalable, well-tested components in use by thousands of people, without having to start from zero. We use Microsoft and industry standard components to build custom online and mobile solutions. We also follow rigourous development and testing processes to address common custom development problems - cost overruns, security concerns, stability under heavy loads, usability, not to mention getting it right.
When To Build
If a commercial package exists that meets 3/4 of your important needs, you may want to take it. It could be a good cost effective choice. If you've looked and can't find what you need, it may be worth exploring a custom solution. Here are a few scenarios:
- An off-the-shelf system doesn't meet 3/4 of your needs
- Software licensing and per user costs are way out of line for the software's intended use
- A ready-made system has so many complicated features it is impossible to use
- Information is siloed in enterprise systems and difficult to access on the web or a mobile device
- A competitive market advantage is sought through new, innovative web services
Once you've established that a custom software solution is needed, identify the results you expect from the system. This will help you decide if the investment is cost-effective. Here are examples of results we have helped companies deliver through custom solutions:
- Create a new source of revenue
- Reduce costs of internal operations
- Reduce software licensing costs
- Improve the online experience of users or staff
- Report on information that is trapped in multiple enterprise systems
- Extend internal operations to the web or a mobile device
- Member Gateway - self help website that engages the user and integrates to backend AMS
- Global Process Integration - integrated web based forms and work flow used to collect and deliver information across dozens of field offices
- Accounts Receivable Dashboard - brings visibility to staff on outstanding accounts and facilitates to outreach and resolution
- Provider Enrollment - efficiently integrates multiple hospital databases into a unified provider enrollment workflow and tracking dashboard
- Medical Record Request Portal - internal web-based, self-guided processing and tracking of requests for patient information, and escalation for non-routine cases
- Program Management - tracking of federally-sponsored employment programs with strict compliance requirements, with full integration to back-end accounting and payroll systems
These solutions addressed problems that went unresolved, or required tremendous manual efforts to handle. Through the creative use of online forms, work flows, reporting dashboards, and other tools, we solved these with effective, intuitive solutions.
How We Do It
We've deployed hundreds of systems built on our LeapSeed platform, serving tens of thousands of people every day. The underlying nuts and bolts use robust Microsoft .NET technology and Microsoft SQL Server.
Consisting of solid pre-built, well-tested, and heavily used business components, we use LeapSeed to configure much of your custom solution - without expensive custom coding. You get a fast reliable system without having to start from zero.
Our Process - We've been doing this since 1994. The technology we use has changed many times over, but the fundamentals remain the same.
Our requirements analysis, software development and project management processes are based on agile methodologies. These allow for short iterative cycles, rapid prototyping, and regular feedback from the client. Useful, testable components are delivered frequently, spreading design, testing and acceptance throughout the project lifecycle instead of all design occurring up front and testing accumulating at the end.
We build in short two-week sprints (cycles) to ensure progress is visible, and to quickly include feedback or changes. While a sprint is in full swing, the project manager and your point of contact are in discussions for future sprints and together decide on next steps. At the end of the sprint, components are tested by a quality assurance technician and released to the client for review. This allows you to see the results of the development effort as the project progresses.
- Improved ROI - Frequent releases allow you to give substantial feedback, keep the project focused on manageable blocks, and adapt to new insights and changed circumstances.
- Reduced Risk - The ongoing collaborative approach inherent in frequent planning meetings helps detect potential problems early and solve them quickly before too much time elapses and effort is expended.
- Better Solutions - By performing detailed analysis, design and development in small increments, staff can focus on a manageable set of features, and insights can be applied to future work.
- Tactical Speed - Sometimes our clients have opportunities they need to pounce on, often in matter of weeks, not months. Our development platform allows us to help our clients at times like these, providing flexibility for high value delivery in the short term, and laying out a framework for strategic growth in the long term.